Carbon Monoxide Safety
CO detector going off? Leave the area and contact Dakota Natural Gas at 888-933-9743.
Carbon monoxide. The silent killer. Breathing too much carbon monoxide can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause serious damage to a body or even death. Carbon monoxide (CO) is the colorless, odorless exhaust of gas appliances. An improperly installed gas appliance, incorrectly vented appliance, or improperly used appliance can all cause carbon monoxide to build up in your home. Fortunately, carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented. You just need to follow a few simple safety tips.
Know the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can occur gradually or immediately, depending on the severity of the leak. Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms, though will never cause a fever. Here’s what to look for to keep your family safe.
- Shortness of breath
Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector
A carbon monoxide detector is your best tool for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning. Detectors look and act like smoke detectors. When they sense high CO levels in the air, they produce a blaring siren noise.
We recommend installing carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and within 10 feet of any sleeping area. Check and replace the batteries of your CO detectors every six months, as you do with smoke detectors.
If you want to take your detection to the next level, you can upgrade your carbon monoxide detectors to consumer gas detectors. These devices detect CO, methane, and propane. Like CO detectors, install consumer gas detectors on every level of your home and near sleeping areas.
Get Your Gas Appliances Inspected Regularly
Have your favorite plumbing and heating contractor inspect and repair your gas appliances regularly. Carbon monoxide comes from poorly functioning appliances or appliances that aren’t vented correctly (or at all). Furnaces, space heaters, cooktops, dryers, and other appliances are all potential sources of CO.
Leave Outdoor Appliances Outside
Unfortunately, every winter we hear about people killed by carbon monoxide poisoning from improperly used outdoor equipment. Using outdoor equipment such as portable generators, heaters, grills, and stoves indoors can create dangerous levels of CO in your home, cabin, or fishing shack. Prevent the worst from happening by only using outdoor appliances outside.
Get in touch with the natural gas safety team at Dakota Natural Gas to get your safety questions answered. If you smell gas or have a natural gas emergency, call us immediately at 888.933.9743.
North Dakota One Call
Are you utilizing the North Dakota One Call or 811 system? You must call in locates at least two business days prior to doing any digging on your property. By following this important step, you will prevent service interruption for both you and your neighbors.
As you are spring cleaning, take a few minutes to clean around your furnace and water heater! Never store rags, boxes, newspaper, chemicals or paint cans around these appliances.